Sunday, April 18, 2010

Language Arts Lesson

For my Language Arts Lesson I used the great book Puff and the Magic Dragon. The students weren't familiar with it, which made me feel old, but was good too because they were excited and interested throughout the book. They asked many great questions, and we had a great talk about what exactly imagination was and how we use it. The activity portion of my lesson was a writing prompt titled My Adventure With Puff. The kids loved this and wrote some funny and entertaining stories. There were also heart warming stories, such as one girl who would ride Puff to Texas to see the family she never sees anymore. I also had drawing paper ready for the students who got stuck with their writing or finished early. These pictures were great. I am going to put them all together and make a "Mrs. Strouse's First Graders Puff Story" for their classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that they have never heard that story before! I am glad to hear that everything went well. It is such a good feelings when your lesson goes over smoothly and you get to read the stories that your students come up with. Making a book out of their pictures and stories is such a great idea Parker. That is something that they will be able to look back and see what they wrote as well as other students. That was a great extension to your lesson. Sounds like it went really well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Poor old Mr. Brown, giving out-of-date stories already - no worries, though, I'm right there with you. Bummer on growing up and growing old.

    But on to the discussion. What a fun lesson you had! It sounds like discussion flowed well, as you picked a great topic for it to revolve around; students will talk ALL DAY about imagination, how they've used it, and what they've used it for. I bet the conversation was quite entertaining, too.

    And what a cool idea to start discussion early in a 1st grade classroom. My 5th graders still struggle with genuine conversations, and I think it is mostly due to the fact that they have not had much experience with it in previous years. Did you feel that they stayed on topic and made new connections? How did you keep them interested in the story for all of those activities?

    ReplyDelete