Tuesday, March 2, 2010

comprehension

What I got out of today’s readings were that it is important when making a lesson to have questions that will prompt student’s comprehension. One technique that I got from the Tompkins chapter was to have a chart of text-to-text, text-to-world, and text-to-self. I think making these connections is important because even I read books and just “read” the words. There are a lot of strategies that can help with comprehension. On page 261 on Tompkins there is a chart of various methods you can use to help students with comprehension. In my placement one of the methods that I have seen a lot is having a set of comprehension questions at the end of the book that they read. There are so many strategies that can be used and I don’t think my CT does a good job of implementing more strategies. When the students are asked their questions they seem to give one word or use minimal effort to answer the question. I struggle with this because when I try to get them to expand they don’t understand because my CT does not have them expand on comprehension questions. Some strategies that I think the students would benefit from would be to activate background knowledge, connect, determine, summarize, and determine importance.


jen

1 comment:

  1. In my kindergarten classroom, the students read numerous books and the CT repeatedly uses the book rather than never coming back to it after reading for once. Sometimes the students memorize the whole story and yells out what is going to happen on the next page while the CT reads. I believe the repetition of the book helps the students comprehend the story even though they are yet able to read the words in the text. I also agree in using the chart of connectors since it certainly helped me a lot when we were doing our book club responses. In addition, the students realizing the similarities of their daily lives in the story is going to have them engaged even more into reading and comprehending as to thinking that they are the ones inside the story experiencing all the activities.

    ReplyDelete